Here's the backstory;
Welcome ICLW friends! Here's a brief synopsis of our journey. Been trying to conceive for almost 6 years, taking a very conservative path. Slightly low sperm numbers, but didn't find anything else was wrong. Did 3 IUIs -- all BFNs. Did several months of Femara. On a natural cycle in 2010 we got pregnant and at 7 weeks miscarried. Tried (and continue to use) lots of alternative/natural treatments including chiropractic, acupuncture, supplements and diet changes for me. I lost some weight. Still nothing. This winter we received news that my numbers had changed for the worse and it looked like my egg reserve might be getting low (I don't put a lot of faith in numbers so have a hard time believing this). Even though it was against everything we had ever said we would/wouldn't do, we decided to proceed with IVF. Two days before the cycle was supposed to start my husband backed out. I was heartbroken and we started couples
counseling. That was 3 months ago.
Here's where we are today:
In mid-August my husband said he was willing to give IVF a try.
- On August 23, I began daily birth control pill and a testosterone gel
- On September 7, hubby and I began antibiotics -- 1 for him, 2 for me
- On September 12 I completed the bcp regimen and traded the gel for a testosterone patch
- On September 14 I had my suppression check and learned to give myself injections
- From September 3 - 17 I spent a lot of time on the phone with two mail order pharmacies, trying to get all of my meds and insurance in order. I am so thankful to have insurance, but the pharmacies were a challenge to work with.
- September 17 I began twice a day injections and immediately started feeling things happening in my belly.
- September 21 (today) I had my first monitoring ultrasound and labs
- Retrieval should occur sometime between Wednesday and Friday next week, with transfer 5 days later (my clinic doesn't do 3 day transfers)
The appointment today overall went well. I was much less nervous for this one than for my one last Friday. I have decided that for now, I am not going to mention numbers on my blog (number of egg sacs, lab results, number of eggs retrieved, fertilized and transferred). I may change my mind at a later date, but for now, I just need to keep this info internally. It is so hard not to compare and drive myself crazy wondering if the number should be higher/different/etc. The truth is, it only takes the perfect combination of 1 egg and 1 sperm to make our take home baby and THAT is my focus....along with staying relaxed. I will say the number of egg sacs seen today was not as many as I had hoped for, but the nurse seemed pleased, and said there were likely some we couldn't see. I go in again Sunday morning. The nurse told me my doctor will be there on Sunday to do the ultrasound so looking forward to that.
Tomorrow I am going to go to the library to get some books to read during my retrieval recovery and bed rest after transfer. Other than that and some light cleaning, this weekend is about relaxing and staying positive.
Thanks for all of the good thoughts and prayers you have been sending my way! Please keep them coming!